Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Gossip is Poison


Everything you do, everything you say, touches someone else, in some sort of way.



So please be careful and think before you speak. I have always tried to live by this the best I can. It's like Mom always said; if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. Sure, we have our opinions but they are sometimes best kept to ourselves. If our opinions are spoken in shared company, gossip can be born, and will grow 10x as ugly as it was meant to be. Gossiping is not a productive passtime.




I have spent years listening to women talk crap on co-workers, friends and even family. Most times I was able to listen and give no opinion, especially not adding to the gossip. Gossip mostly ended with me. But on occasion gossip was like a poison sometimes tripping me up, leaving me feel like crap. Nothing productive ever comes from gossiping. I'd rather not be a part of it. This was the main reason I left my profession as a hairdresser 10years ago. Talk about an oxymoron; so much ugliness in what was supposed to be a place of beauty. I'm reminded that even listening to the gossip will poison the mind. So it must be stopped/cut off/ nipped in the bud immediately. Make it known that you don't wish to be a part of it.




If your friendships consist of nothing more than this, then perhaps it's best to re-evalute your relationships. Can they be salvaged? What do you have in common with that person? This is something I'll be figuring out this week. I don't enjoy being dragged down to that level of entertainment. If someone had something negative on their minds about me, I'd hope they would come to me so that we can resolve it together, as true friends do.




This is not to be confused with friends warning you that someone has done you wrong. If they speak truth, it is not gossip. Friendship should not be hard-it should come easy. So stop the drama and honestly talk about what's bothering you so that it can be worked out. This is my view and way to live by.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. I was thinking over this past week and was actually going to write a blog about this...you obviously beat me to the punch! ;) This past week was definitely another lesson being thrown at us by life. And I definitely learned my lesson!

    ReplyDelete