Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Signs

As I walk my son to school in the mornings, I try to be mindful of what's around me on our walk. I make an effort to notice the smell in the air, the sound of the wind, colors painted across the sky, wild life, etc. I really try to pass this mindfulness onto my 6yr old as well, though he's usually preoccupied with the snow, and puddles on the ground. The real enjoyment for me, comes on my quiet walk back home after dropping him at school. Today I decided to look for signs- in choosing which route to travel.

If I caught a red light upon my route, I'd simply cross with the green. This led me down Hawthorne, where I past St. Johns Church. The traffic light then led me passed the church all the way down Tyson where I took notice to all the architectural detail used in the building. I always liked that church, the inside is even more beautiful. But as I continued on my walk, a crow perched a top the crucifix caught my attention with it's caw. I've had a fascination with ravens and crows as of late. Last week I listened to two crows communicating before flocking to the North. Then Jake and I counted 12 ravens (larger than your typical american crow)perched out front of our home in the tree the day after. Fascinating. Ever since, I've been wanting to create something artful inspired by this raven. This morning I decided to research myth and lore, and detailed facts about these magnificant birds. That's it... I'm hooked.

I've got Gothic Romance on my mind. caw caw.....

No comments:

Post a Comment