Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Letting go.

I was only 18 years old when I first found out that I was going to be a mommy. I was way too young to start a family being a kid myself, I still had so much ahead of me. But from that moment on, my life was changed forever and I would be forced to grow up fast! (in 9 months to be exact.) So much was going on, hormonal changes, body changes, all day sickness, and on top of that I had to keep my growing baby healthy as well. The motherly bonding began from the moment I knew for sure I was preggers. It's amazing how much love I felt for this baby growing inside me. I knew right away from the moment of conception that I'd have a little girl. I just knew. Funny how things happen for reasons, and this little girl would grow to be my world!

Now as my once baby girl enters the Teenage Years, I've been clinging to every ounce of hope that this now beautiful young lady will still want to cuddle with Mommy, lend a hug and kiss willingly, and I just long to hear an "I love you Mom" without it being forced once in a while. Of course, I know she loves me :) but as she grows, each day gaining her independance more and more, I can't help but feel like I'm losing my baby girl. This has been my struggle for some time now. And I've been very emotional over it. Today, some weight was lifted when I read on facebook that other mothers are experiencing the same things with their teenagers. My friend Toni Brennan quotes- "Your children, no matter how old never out grow your hugs, kisses and I love you. When was the last time you took that few seconds for your child(ren)?" And caught my attention. Another mom chimed in after confirming "This is normal behavior." And I finally began to realise, Im not losing my daughter, she's just growing up. I think now I'm ready to let her do exactly that. I understand now, that I need to remain Mom, even if at a distance. I'll be here, loving her & her little brother for as long as I live. And I know I'll be going through this same thing when my son becomes a teen. ugh...

Simple as it may be...it's still painful when your kids pull away. Grow up my child, but don't go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment